Saturday, April 30, 2011

Music

Have you ever heard a song on the radio, and immediately you're transported back to a place in your memory? It's like what the philosopher Freud said about the subconscious---you don't actively remember anything about it, but something, like music, can bring it back. (Oh my gosh, I just realized that English class has crept into my blog post. Well, it had to happen sometime.)
Anyway, all of you should message me and tell me about your memory-bringing-back songs. I would love to hear them. Here are some of mine:

"Sparks Fly" by Taylor Swift: When my mom and I were going to see the 7th Harry Potter, Part One, and I was thinking about...certain things. (Many of you know what I'm talking about.)
"I'll Just Hold On" by Blake Shelton: I was eleven, and my parents and I were driving from Philadelphia to Avalon, New Jersey. Our rental car had the Prime Country station with no commercials, and we heard that song about a million times. (I loved it every time.)
"The Heart Won't Lie" by Reba McEntire: This was the "our song" for me and the very first guy I had a crush on. :)
"Forget You" by Cee Lo Green: When I was in the bus, with one of my best friends, driving out to the South Side of town along with my school. And she and I, and a few other people, sang it at the top of our lungs.
"Lips of an Angel" by Hinder: This was my first breakthrough to liking music other than country. I just had a totally new outlook after I had heard it, and it's still one of my favorite songs.
"Love the Way You Lie" by Rihanna and Eminem: So the first time I heard this song I didn't like it at all. But I kept hearing it everywhere, and one day in Science class the teacher played it on his computer, and the ENTIRE class just started singing. There was such a feeling of unity, and when I heard it again after that I realized what a meaningful song it is. (And yes, you do need to give the rap a chance. Even though it's rap, it's good.)
"That's My Job" by Conway Twitty: This is the song for my dad and I. He played it for me one afternoon a few years ago, and it still makes me cry every time I hear it.
"There Is a God" by Lee Ann Womack: I was young, and my parents and I were driving back from the airport, and it was very dark. This song came on the radio, and it was just so perfect.
"Time to Be Your 21" by Alexz Johnson: I first heard this song on a show, and liked it. I'm still not completely sure what it means, but it brings back so many memories of the times I felt brave, or happy.

And on that note, dear friends, I will leave you. :) <3

No comments:

Post a Comment